Since Friday I have been struggling with my very first... crick in the neck. Now I've never personally known someone or been around them while they had a crick in their neck, but I never thought much of it. I know that in TV shows a few times I've seen a character who had a "crick in the neck" and who claimed to not be able to move their neck a certain way. I felt sure that this was some silly hype that didn't really happen that way in reality.
Boy was I wrong...
I awoke on Friday morning to a very unpleasant surprise. My first sign should have been the fact that I woke up around 5AM because I can usually sleep at least until my alarm goes off at 6AM... unless something is wrong. My next memory of Friday morning was a searing pain as I tried to move my neck out of the position it had been in while I was sleeping. That position happened to be my head turned to the left with my chin pointed downward towards my shoulder. I couldn't believe it! What was I supposed to do? My neck couldn't move out of that position and it hurt horribly.
I sat there for about an hour and a half trying to work it out. I thought maybe if I stretched it a bit that I'd be able to get mobility back in my neck. By 6:30 my neck was still killing me and now I began to wonder if I'd be able to make it to my class at 8AM. I called home to get the advice of my parents. They suggested medicine and a hot cloth on my neck.... 2 things that I tried but to no avail.
I decided that since I could barely tolerate standing up that work or class might not be the best idea. However, by about 4PM I began to worry about the fact that my neck had not seen any improvement. That was about the time I decided I'd better head over to the doctor. The doctor was very sympathetic and told me that I had a "crick in the neck" that was on the more severe side. He prescribed me a steroid that acts as an anti-inflammatory and while I was at the doctor's office I picked up a heating pad.
Now it is Sunday and my neck is still sore and my muscles are still tensed up- but it isn't nearly as bad as it was on Friday (or even on Saturday). I have a lot of the mobility back in my neck but I still cannot turn it all the way to the right without a good bit of pain. I'll survive and continue to put the heat on it. I just hope that my neck is feeling all the way better by Monday.
I'll never forget my first crick in the neck. I can only hope that if my body is merciful that it will be my last.
No comments:
Post a Comment