Thursday, July 2, 2009

Self Defense: A Better Work Out For Attackers

I am signed up for (and consequently taking) a self defense class on BYU campus. I was a little skeptical about this class because I wasn't entirely sure what it would entail- but after being in the class for about a week and a half I am actually very impressed.

The "sensei" or teacher for the class has decided to teach us "from the ground up." In that he is first teaching us how to defend ourselves from the ground. Apparently there are a high percentage of attacks that end up with one or both people on the ground. Therefore for the first couple weeks of class we've been learning how to stand up safely, how to fend off someone who is coming towards us if we are down on our back, and how to get someone off from on top of us if they have us pinned down or have their weight on top of us.

Very interesting things to learn right? Right! I'm pretty excited about the prospect of being able to defend off an attacker- and better get to be able to kick butt next time I get into a tickle fight with a guy.

This class is a great work out- we spend the class doing things that expose us to some mild cardio, that allow us to work our abs, and there is a fair amount of tumbling involved. However, the biggest work out for me doesn't come from practicing the actual self defense measures that we learn in the class- it comes from playing the part of the attacker so that others in the class can practice their moves on me.

Currently, while we are practicing the person who is trying to defend themselves lays flat on their back while their partner comes at them under the premise of being an attacker. Now- while you are practicing you do have to move your legs around and work your abs, however, it is while you are playing the role of attacker that you essentially are doing squats the entire time. You are standing there in a squatting position while the other person practices.

So my self defense class is fine and isn't overly a work out. However, being an "attacker" in class is wearing me out and making the muscles in my thighs terribly sore.

What is the moral of this story? Attacking someone (especially someone who knows self defense) is more work than it is worth.

1 comment:

Katria said...

That's the class that made me blow out my knee, so I had to withdraw from it.