Monday, May 17, 2010

Yet another great weekend with Mark...

On Saturday me and Mark decided spur of the moment that we were going to drive up to Maple Lake (in the Salem, UT area) and go fishing!  It was a beautiful and slightly brisk day and we decided that it would be perfect for fishing.  Mark remembered going fishing at this lake a few years earlier and how much he liked it so we packed up and drove up to get it going...









I really was a beautiful day and I had the opportunity to see what a handy outdoorsman Mark is.  He already had a well used tackle box and 2 excellent fishing poles for us to use.  When we got to the lake it was GORGEOUS outside.  We walked around and picked a great spot with a bench and wood logs to sit on while you fish.  Mark was sweet enough to let me wear his jacket since I had failed to bring mine and I was a bit chilly.  Mister "has spent a lot of time in sub zero weather" was not cold so he didn't mind at all.  The sky was blue, there were big puffy clouds, and the sun was shining.  We could even see the little trout swimming around at the bottom of the lake. 












It was a fun and relaxing day!  However, after hours and hours of being there we had still failed to catch a single fish.  No joke- hardly even a nibble.  We tried using live worms, lures, and other types of fish food (salmon eggs, sparkle fish bait, etc) but those little suckers would not bite!  Mark was especially villigant in trying all sorts of things to see if he could catch one of the suckers.  Alas, after about 5 hours of being at the lake we had failed to get one.  But it really was a good day anyway- we enjoyed talking, laughing, and just being together.  :-)

Later that night after getting home and cleaning up a bit, we made cinnamon roles!  I pulled out a recipie that I love for 1 hour cinnamon roles and we made them together.  They were/are stinking delicious and literally only take about an hour to make from start to finish (a big part of why I love them).   If you want to try them yourself- go for it (they are super easy).

One-Hour Cinnamon Rolls
1-2/3 C warm water, ½ C oil, 1/4 C sugar, 2T yeast, ½ T salt
Mix oil and sugar and salt together. Then add the water, and the yeast. Let Rest for 10 minutes. 
Then add: 1 beaten egg and 5+/- C flour, enough to make a soft dough
Knead the dough and then roll it out into a large rectangle. 

Filling: 4 T cinnamon, 3/4 C sugar and 1 stick melted butter
 Mix sugar, butter and cinnamon
Spread evenly over the top of the large rectangle of dough.  
Roll up the dough and cut into rolls. Place slices on baking pan.  Preheat oven to 425. 
While the oven is preheating- let the rolls sit for 10 minutes (to rise a bit).
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. When they come out of the oven frost and enjoy!

Frosting: I do a cream chesse, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk mixture.  
I'll mix a block of softened cream cheese with about half a bag of powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla.  I blend that all together and add milk or more sugar to taste until you have a thin icing.  

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Jake's sister made homemade cinnamon roles this past weekend and so did you! I think I need to try to make some. In your ingredients list, you said 1/2 Coil...what's coil?

Courtney said...

LoL Dear sister- there is a space between those. It is 1/2 C(up) of Oil. And my cinnamon roles were totally awesomer.