Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fames Ruines Everyone... Like Miley Cyrus

Ok, I'm going to be honest with all you people out there:  I've traditionally been a Miley Cyrus fan.  Now you can't pretend like she hasn't had some really cute songs!  Most people who like pop are going to like at least one of Miley Cyrus' songs.  I've enjoyed some of her songs like See You Again, Party in the USA, 7 Things, The Climb and other such songs.  Some of them are cutesy love songs while others are borderline inspirational and still others are upbeat and teeny bopper.  Now I really think that she is really just popular because she is a pretty lil girl who got a big break because of her daddy- I don't think that she has any extraordinary talents as far as singing or dancing.  After hearing videos of her singing live you know that she doesn't have a spectacular voice and her dancing is actually below par compared to those who have likely had the same training.  But she's cute, she comes off as a sweetheart, and her songs have always been innocent enough that I like her and have always thought she was a decent enough "role model" for kids seeing as that is the primary audience that she has always appealed to (little girl from 8 years and older).  

Now Miley Cyrus has had a few "scandals" over the past few years.  Some pictures that she has taken (some professional and others that she'd just post online) that were kind of risque or "skanky."  A video here and there of her being an idiotic teenager (and what teen doesn't do stupid things?).  But most of her immaturities and more disgraceful behaviors have been contained and even apologized for on occasion.  I think that it is the fact that she has for the most part stayed within a certain boundary of reason that she has had continued success- especially with the younger age group.

This is why it almost sickens me to see Miley Cyrus' new song/music video that has been released just this month.  Her new song "I Can't Be Tamed" is a more pumped/sexy song with a very grown up feel for this little 17 year old girl.  The song features her in a bird cage on exhibit and some of the lyrics are as follows:
For those who don't know me, I can get a bit crazy
Have to get my way, 24 hours a day
'Cause I'm hot like that
Every guy everywhere just gives me mad attention
Like I'm under inspection, I always get the 10s
'Cause I'm built like that

I go through guys like money flyin' out their hands
They try to change me but they realize they can't
And every tomorrow is a day I never planned
If you're gonna be my man, understand
I can't be tamed, I can't be saved....

Not only is the song a complete turn around from just about everything she has ever sung but I find the costumes and lyrics to be wildly inappropriate for the younger audiences that she has hitherto been gearing herself towards.  Below is a frame/picture of her from her new music video.  Looking like a Beyonce rip off.  
Now keep in mind that this girl is only 17 years old.     Meanwhile it seems that she is trying to get herself to the same sexual and song type level of Beyonce (who is 28) or Madonna (who is in her 50's) or even Rihanna (who is a lot younger but who is still in her 20's already).  I mean- can you believe it?  This cute little girl goes from singing songs like The Climb and dressing/appearing like the picture below and in the space of a few months she starts to appear in music videos that are 100% more grown up and 100% more inappropriate for her audiences.  It makes me SO mad.    
I know so many little girls who are under the age of 10 who go crazy for Miley Cyrus.  Now with the appearance of her new music video I understand exactly what is happening to her.  How do I understand?  Because fame ruines everyone.  Fame, fortune, media, social pressures, and idiocracy turns good, fun-loving girls into skanky sluts who parade their influences to our younger generation and continue to screw with our society.  Another excellent example?  Birtany Spears. 












Oh look- and they even both did songs that had a "cage" theme to them.  I'm rather sad about it actually.  I liked Miley Cyrus and thought that maybe because of her family or because of her Disney connection that she might try to hold strong and not sell out as a sex symbol.  Alas, that dream has now been shattered as she has shattered her Disney reputation... oh yeah, also like Britany Spears did.  Go figure. 

So this is just a reminder to all that fame ruines everyone.  We don't admire the lives of movie stars.  We mock them and act incredulous at their stupidity as they continue to dismay us with how low they can sink and how ridiculous they can appear.  I just really really super uber hate the fact that she will likely drag her extremely young female audience down with her. 

1 comment:

Angela Andersen said...

Definitely, definitely, agreed. It makes me want to hold my head, pull my hair, and scream, "WHY???" It's like after so much success she starts to think that everyone will just eat up whatever she does, and that she'll make more money/ get more attention going to an older audience, when what she's really doing is ruining both her career and her life. Sad.