Saturday, January 4, 2014

Relief Society and Karma

In my church we have a program for the women called Relief Society.  It is a class that women only go to to be together and to learn together.  To make plans to help and to do good things.  I enjoy church very much and love going on Sundays but to be perfectly honest I have never terribly enjoyed Relief Society.  I have always gotten along better with men or with mixed groups rather than simply a group of women all together.

Well some major karma came my way a couple weeks ago.  I was asked to be the Relief Society president in my ward.  I really didn't think that was going to happen.  I figured there had to be someone more qualified or better to fit that role.  I'm not sure if it is karma or me being punished for my attitude or just that there is something I need to learn.  Being in charge of such a thing really is a lot of work and is a big responsibility.

The Relief Society that I'm in has some serious problems that need to be worked on.  The main problem is simply that no one goes to Relief Society and a lot of people who are on our rolls don't go to church at all.  I have a bit more of a dominate or aggressive personality.  The woman who was previously in charge was extremely mild mannered.  So it should be interesting to see how well the change goes over.  I'm really not going to try to force or coerce people to go to church or to Relief Society meetings- but you want to know what?  Going to church is something that can be extremely beneficial.  It encourages people to help one another, it teaches them to follow Christ, it gives people hope and encouragement, and it helps people to have friends that uplift each other.

I can't tell you how many times I have been sad or unhappy or felt like I had no friends only to realize later that other people around me felt exactly the same way.  So why not see if I can rally all of these women together in hopes that no one will have to feel that way?

Well, I guess this should be an interesting time.  I'll keep you updated on things.  If you have any suggestions then please do let me know.   I need all the help I can get. 

No comments: