Sunday, October 21, 2012

Making the Leap

So recently I did something very fun- I did a Haunted Zip Line over at Max Zip Line in the Provo Canyon.  You went to an area and got geared up and took about a 15 minute bus ride up the side of the mountain and then rode a series of zip lines back down to the bottom.  They had people with masks, cob-webs, bits and pieces of body parts laying around, and other such things to make it a bit spooky.  A guy in a warewolf mask just about gave me a heart attack.  Haha. 

I've always been kind scared of heights but I figure the best way to conquer it is to do things that push myself a little bit.  It was fun and exhilarating to go flying down a zip line and to see the things far below me- mildly terrifying but amazing.  To be so high up and to let yourself be on a thin metal wire about as big around as a quarter un-nerved me quite a bit.  But I made it through perfectly safe and have some excellent memories from it now!  LOVED IT!

I'm even planning to go hang gliding next weekend (weather permitting).  That is one of the next phases in my over coming my fear of heights.

So when I was going down the zip line I noticed something.  The most frightening part of the entire experience was taking that first step off the platform.  It was as though I had a mental block on taking a step off of the edge and relying only on the thin metal zip line.  Sometimes I think that I have that problem in life.  Sometimes there will be something I want to do or should do but I have a hard time just taking that one step off the edge to get the thing going.  Part of me thinks that I keep waiting for someone to come in to my life that will push me to do all the things I want to be doing.  But just like there wasn't anyone to push me off the ledge, I have to realize that if something is going to get done- it has to be me and my own will power that gets it done.

I'm working on it.  I have already been doing a few things that I never thought I would be doing- I made the resolution to have at least 2 new experiences per year.  I made that goal last year- I went on a cruise and saw some new places and I went to Kentucky and had some fun going through caves (I've never done that before).  This year between the zip line and hang gliding I am on track to accomplish that goal again.

I think that I'm at the point in my life where I am standing on the edge of some of the things I need/want to do- my goal is that between now and the end of the year I will make that step and will send my life flying in a new and awesome direction.

I also need some suggestions for some new and amazing things I can make my goals for next year.  Any recommendations?  Crazily enough- goal making season is quickly upon us as the year comes to a close.  

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Zip-lining sounds pretty cool. Hang gliding sounds straight up awesome! Wish I could go with you ;)

I'm not big on "new" experiences, being a boring married woman, but exercising every morning has made a huge impact on my life. It took a while for me to see the effects, but I definitely have more energy, feel more confident, and I feel stronger and more ready to tackle the day. I highly recommend it, even if you have to get up ridiculously early in the morning.

Also, you should learn to water ski next summer. It's great fun!