Thursday, August 9, 2012

Time Management

It has been almost entirely a year since I have posted on my blog.  I chalk it up to the fact that I have been staying busy.  Last year (from about September until February) I was extremely busy.  I was going to the beach with friends, I was taking off to visit Kentucky where I went cave exploring or over to the western part of the state where I was visiting the Biltmore Estate and seeing other interesting places I had never bothered to visit before, I was doing a kayaking tour down the Outer Banks with my fantastic aunt, and I was playing with my amazing nephew. 

Since all of that was up until February of this year (2012), some people might ask what I have been doing since then.  Well, I'm going to sum it up for you in one word.  Work.  I have somehow managed to become a work-a-holic.  Need proof?  Well, last year I had pictures ice skating and cruising and kayaking and doing all sorts of things.  The last 4 profile pictures I have had on Facebook have been ones that I have snapped of myself while at work.  It was only recently that I realized how much of a work-a-holic I have become. 

Now don't get me wrong- I love my job.  I have an amazing boss and I love what I do.  There is plenty of work to be done so I feel extremely useful at work and even though I have a bit of a dominate personality- my boss humors me well.  :-)  Insurance is really interesting to me and I enjoy talking with customers about their policies and helping them- but there is also just something about business management, office management and developing office policies and procedures that just makes me happy.

I have done a few fun things since moving to Utah.  I've made some sweet friends, met a great guy, gone to the tulip festival, visited lagoon, and have done a little bit of hiking both in Utah and in Idaho.  But as I realize how physically and socially lazy I have become I realize that there is so much more that I could do if I decided that I was going to leave work at a decent hour and actually do something with my weekend and my evenings.  So I am making a new goal- better time management. 

All of those words just to get to that one simple point.  I need to manage my time better- I can be dedicated to work and get a lot done and then get more done in the evenings.  I needed to put this in writing so that I would actually do it.  Below are a few "goals" of sorts:
1) Attend all church activities that I do not otherwise have plans for.
2) Go to the gym at least 3 times per week.
3) Visit some friends that I have been fearfully neglecting and other people down in the Provo area.
4) Make more of an effort to eat healthy and take care of my skin/teeth (don't just pass out and fall asleep on the couch- actually get ready for bed). 
5) Plan/participate in at least 1 or 2 service projects. 
6) Make the relief society assign me to some visiting teachees (sadly enough I still have not been assigned any... and not for lack of trying- I've requested them twice already) so I can do my visiting teaching. 
7) Read a book- it has been ages since I have just say and read a book.  Sad, I know.
8) Write my thoughts in a blog. 

I'll start with those for now.  They aren't hard things.  I have plenty of time I just don't manage it well so I tend to stay at work far too late and then just go home and lay down and not do much of anything.  It isn't that I don't want to do these things and more.  It isn't that I don't have time for these things.  It is honestly because I have been practicing terrible, awful, bad time management skills.  All I need to do is to actually force myself to get up and DO things and eventually it will not be so hard.  I might even make a few more friends in the process.  We'll see.  :-) 

I'll let you know how it goes... and I'll be back before another year passes.  I promise.  Any suggestions for things I should add to my list?

2 comments:

Katria said...

Wait. When did you move back to Utah?

Courtney said...

I moved back in Feb of this year. I'm living up in the SLC area. :-) Where are you at these days anyway dear?