Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Life Since Utah & Christmas

So my life is settling into somewhat of a routine since moving to North Carolina.  After taking a number of tests and giving the state time to process everything I finally got my insurance license officially a few weeks ago.  I've been working a good ole fashion 9-5:30 job for Nationwide Insurance and I actually really enjoy my job.  The office stays busy and had a steady stream of servicing current customers and helping new customers.  I've been given praise and compliments on my "people skills" as I help customers.  There really are so many nice people- generally when they come in to their insurance office they are not the happiest because they are either paying a bill or have some sort of problem.  But I do my best to make sure they leave with a smile on their face.  Working with customers everyday and genuinely trying to help them constantly helps to remind me that I really do like people.  I'm also able to work in an office environment that rather reminds me of when I worked at the BYU Bookstore.  There are steady constants that have been there for years and years and have their quirks and specialties, some things about the job stay the same all the time but the people/customers that come in mix it up on a regular basis.  This should be considered a good thing since working at the BYU Bookstore is where I have some of my fondest work memories.  I still miss all of those sweet and hard working people in the Textbook office!

So I like my job.  In other news I really have made some good friends here in NC.  I spend Sundays at church with them, Monday nights at church with them, and Wednesday nights at church with them: so I guess making some friends was inevitable.  I felt a little apprehensive about moving back here to NC because I wasn't sure if I'd really have that much to do or many people to spend my time with.  I've been pleasantly surprised at how quickly I have been able to find kindred spirits that I enjoy talking to and spending time with.  I need to do better at making sure all those people realize how much I appreciate them.  Perhaps I will declare another "girls night" for this weekend.  I had one last weekend with a couple girls and we ended up having a blast laughing and planning and talking.  Three things that I love to do.  :-)

I keep getting asked how I am doing with other feelings and the ending of relationships that happened before I came to North Carolina: I'm doing "ok."  To be honest, I have been feeling pretty darn hung up on him ever since I left.  I think about him way too often and, as I already know, it is easy to focus on everything that was right and nothing that was wrong (especially when you are missing someone).  I've kept his pictures all around me and kept his memory close to my heart.  I haven't even *really* tried to move on because somewhere inside me I kinda hoped that he would show up and demand that we be together- and of course, in my day dreams I say yes and fall in to his arms.  After a month or two of no contact I had even been trying to contact him/talk to him more.  A few nights ago he finally called me in response to a text message that I sent him wishing him well.  We had an extremely sad conversation, for me at least.  He was very kind but told me that he had been very successful at forgetting me and moving on from our relationship.  He told me that he didn't see the point of talking to me because he now feels that it was the right thing to do to break up.  I hated hearing it, with all my heart.  But I guess I appreciate his honesty.  It would have made things a lot more complicated and confusing if he had told me that he missed me and still wishes we were together and wanted to be together but I must confess that that is exactly what I was hoping that he would say (because that is how I had been feeling lately).  Maybe now that I know that he holds no hope for the future and that he has moved on I will be slightly more successful at doing so myself.  I'm still feeling extremely cynical about trying to date again but perhaps I will put pictures and memories away a little further to start the process.  I guess we'll see.

So things are going well!  I'll have to write soon about a trip me and some friends took a few weekends ago to Kill Devil Hills.  It was quite the adventure.  LoL  Have a great day everyone!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I love you Courtney! I'm so impressed with how honest you are with yourself (and all of us, your readers). I feel privileged to be allowed to read your thoughts. We plan on making a trip to SC sometime this summer to visit Todd's family. Maybe we could see you too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Courtney, it's Justin. I know it's been quite some time since you and I have really talked, but I just found your blog from your facebook page and decided that I should chime in and say hello. I am really sorry to hear about you and your boyfriend(now ex-boyfriend I guess). Just keep smiling babe and I know everything will turn out great for you. You are an amazing person. Just wanted you to know.

Courtney said...

Haha... Dear Justin: I know about 6 people with your same name. Thank you for the comment but next time be a bit more specific! ;-)

Sincerely,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Lol. I guess I probably should have been a bit more spacific. Lets make a game out of it and see if you can guess who I am.

Clue #1: Greenville NC

Clue #2 Prom 2005 dancing our butts off

clue #3 Sailor/navy



Did you guess yet?
It's me, Justin Hope. We only got to be with each other for a short while so I can understand if you forgot me, but I never forgot you. Once again lil lady, keep smiling and I am sure everything will work out for you in the end. I promise I'll keep in touch better this time. Talk to you later