Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Update!

The summer is progressing nicely.  I am enjoying the wonderfully warm weather and spending time with the man in my life.  :-)  We’ve had a hodge-podge of fun summer activities in the past few weeks and I thought I would share. 
A couple weekends ago we went canoeing up the Provo River and had a blast!  We went to the Utah Lake park area and rented a canoe.  Originally we were only going to go for an hour or less but Mark wanted to see how far we could go up the river!  I think we ended up being out for a little over 2 hours.  It was absolutely beautiful going along the river that was lined with trees.  The weather was fabulous and Mark was patient with me as it seemed to be my fault that the canoe was not going straight (I’m not sure what I was doing wrong but we did a test and found out that it really was my fault).  It was relaxing and I hope to do it again (or a few more times) before the summer is over. 
Not 2 days ago, but the weekend before (June 12th) , me and Mark had a fun time at Orem’s Summerfest.  We thought that it was going to be a bust because earlier in the day it was raining, but it turned out well!  The weather was cool but nice outside by the late afternoon.  We went and watched the parade they had down by Center St.  At the parade we laughed and enjoyed watching the silly floats.  We stood by the police car because it was warm there (and outside it was a little chilly) but the policy officer kept eyeing us to make sure we weren’t up to no-good.  I just kept smiling at him and he seemed appeased.  Afterwards we went over to the carnival and had some excellent food at the booths.  There was funnel cake (which both of us craved as soon as we were within smelling range) and we had these excellent lemon/cherry-aids in these HUGE cups.  They were called a Texas Twister and were very tasty.  As also had some beef kabobs that were perfectly seasoned and very yummy from a Peruvian booth.  After eating all of the deliciously over-priced carnival food we thought very seriously about riding a few rides.  After further consideration and the fact that the lines were long and our stomachs were full of food- we decided against it.  Instead we walked around and looked at what all of the booths were selling.  Right before we left I decided that I wanted Mark to do the manly thing and win his woman a stuffed animal.  And he did!  He won me a green frog that I have since named Kermit and who lives in my room.  I wanted to stay and watch the fireworks but Mark had a better idea.  He drove me up to a lookout point up in Provo canyon and we watched the fireworks from above.  It was beautiful and very romantic.         
The summer is going well!  There are still a number of things that I would like to do/try this summer with Mark (tubing down the Provo River, kayaking, biking, maybe a road trip, trying to overcome my recent fear of heights and hiking a bit more, fishing and actually catching something, and camping).  Also this summer I’ll be traveling home to see my sister get married- so that will be a HUGE event in our family. Fun things have already happened this summer and I’m ready and rocking to have some more!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

If we weren't driving out to see my family this summer, I would be painfully jealous of your eventful one!